The cook will:
- Plan menus and prepare foods in accordance with the Canada Food Guide.
- Post menus in an area visible to all parents and program staff.
- Purchase food and supply necessary to prepare the planned menus for the number of enrolled children and program staff (child sized portion).
- Plans meals far enough ahead to minimize the need for food substitutions; when substitutions are necessary, with prior approval, purchases and serves food of equivalent nutritional value; notes all modifications and substitutes on posted menu and Maple Leaf Daycare, Preschool & Education Centre records.
- Modify menus for children’s allergies and food restrictions; notes all modifications and substitutes on posted menu and Maple Leaf Daycare, Preschool & Education Centre records.
- Prepare meals and snacks in such a way that a minimum of nutrients is lost from foods, that ensure foods taste good and look appealing, and that there are ample amounts of foods for children to have as many servings as they need.
- Maintain established standards of sanitation, safety, food preparation and storage as set by the Alberta Health and Safety Guidelines for Child Care Facilities; maintains an orderly, sanitary, and safe kitchen.
- Modify menus and recipes and prepare foods to meet the developmental needs of infants and toddlers and the medical and feeding needs of children with disabilities, food restrictions and food allergies.
- Deliver foods from the kitchen to the classrooms ready to be served as suitable for the children’s age and development.
- Maintain cost control, budget and inventory systems based on Maple Leaf Daycare, Preschool & Education Centre procedures including records of food purchases, and ingredients lists for all inventory.
- Assure the proper care and maintenance of all food service equipment; identify equipment needs for food preparation and service and assists in purchasing as needed.
- Assist teachers with developing and/or implementing food activities for the children in the classroom.
- Cooperate with and participate in nutrition education activities for staff, parents and children.
- Participate in all emergency drills and environmental safety activities.
- Attend and participate in food service training, pre-service and in-service training, and other continuing education, career and professional development opportunities.
- Participate in the agency’s self-evaluation process and regulatory monitoring visits and comply with any applicable program improvement plans developed.
- Participate in general staff meetings and other meetings and events planned by Maple Leaf Daycare, Preschool & Education Centre as requested.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Record Check.
- Course work and training in foods, nutrition and/or dietetics.
- Cook to possess a Current Food Handlers Certificate at the time of hiring.
- At least 1-2 years experience at a daycare centre.
Maple Leaf Daycare, Preschool & Education centre offers endless possibilities for growth and advancement, please apply: